Mastering the Art of Dental Impressions: A Step-by-Step Guide to Achieving Exceptional Results
Improve accuracy, reduce discomfort, and get outstanding dental impressions with our comprehensive guide.
Need Help In Making Impressions?
If you would like some additional assistance with the impressions taking process, schedule a video call with our smile specialist for free.
Begin with the essentials
- Trays: Ensure you have the correct-sized tray for the upper and lower arches.
- Timer: Use a timer to monitor impression time for precise results.
- Putty: Keep the putty cans within reach, but wait to mix them.
- Gloves: Maintain cleanliness and prevent contamination by wearing gloves.
- Cheek retractor: Use a cheek retractor for clear pictures and to hold your cheeks away from your mouth.
Prepare before you begin
- Thoroughly wash your hands to ensure cleanliness.
- Brush and floss between your teeth for optimal impressions.
- Check that your trays fit perfectly for a comfortable experience.
A good impression
- 1. Properly mix the putty: Achieve a uniform color by quickly and efficiently mixing the blue and white putties.
- 2.Use different putty for each impression: Ensure accuracy by applying equal pressure around teeth and gums.
- 3.Apply equal pressure: Focus on obtaining a clear imprint of the molars and gum line for exceptional results.
- 4.Imprint the molars and gum line: Avoid redoing impressions and achieve a seamless aligner fitting experience.
A bad impression
- 1.Apply gentle and even pressure for clear tooth and gum imprints.
- 2.Mix the putties quickly to create a uniform color before hardening.
- 3. Minimize movement during impressions to maintain accuracy.
- 4.Use fingertips to apply consistent pressure, ensuring putty imprints on the gums.
- Separate the trays for upper and lower arches, starting with the upper teeth impressions.
- Mixing and molding: Wear gloves and combine the white and blue putties until they form one hue.
- Give it 60 seconds:
- Mix the putties until a uniform color is achieved.
- Form a 4-inch long, uniform putty cylinder by rolling it between your palms.
- Fill the tray's U-shaped space with the extended putty form.
- Imprint the molars and gum line: Avoid redoing impressions and achieve a seamless aligner fitting experience.
- Place the putty in your mouth and press evenly over your upper teeth.
- Hold the putty steady for 4 minutes 30 seconds, secensuring a precise impression.
- Gently remove the putty, wiping away any residue with a clean towel.
- Repeat the process for upper teeth impressions and twice for the bottom teeth, creating a total of four samples.
- Smile for the pictures:
- Use the cheek retractor to separate your lips.
- Take close-up photos of your teeth and gums from different angles.
- Ensure proper lighting or use your phone's flash for better visibility.
- Take photos of your front teeth, right and left sides, lower molars, and upper molars.
Send us your samples
- Remove the cardboard liner and re-insert the four completed impressions into the box.
- Wrap the pre-paid return label around the previous shipping label.
- Seal the package using the provided sticker and send it back to us.